Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Women in Comics: "Fun House"

While I feel the quality and intellectual level of the graphic novel was incredibly high, I actually found that I didn't enjoy this work as much as I enjoyed "My Favorite Thing is Monsters." It has a very similar tone of seriousness to that of "This One Summer," which I had read over the summer.  The whole narrative is very much a diary and monologue thoughts of Allison Bechdel, and a lot of her words were very hard to chew on in terms of her incredibly strong vocabulary, but also the stream of consciousness became hard to follow if you couldn't interpret her words well enough. I had to reread sections multiple times to understand any of it.

Overall, I'll admit that Bechdel's distinguished intellect was out of my reading level now that I don't get to read as much as I used to, and it made the comic very hard to dig my teeth into. I also feel that the intense struggle with coming to terms with a father figure and how they may not have always been who you thought they were was very relatable, but I also struggled to continue reading because my own personal experiences and associations with my father were things that I didn't really want to address or think about (even though they weren't nearly as intense or shocking as Bechdel's father was, I mainly have a sore spot when it comes to anything about my father) so they comic also became a bit of a chore to read in my mind. I feel like I should have enjoyed it more, but I have to be honest and say I wasn't as much of a fan, and I share a similar opinion on "This One Summer," which was also very hard for me to digest when I read it earlier this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

The Future of Comics: Strong Female Protagonist, Atomic Robo, and 17776

While I wish I could have only read comics over thanksgiving break, I was only able to make a dent in a few of the webcomic recommendations,...